Thursday, March 29, 2007

GOOD SCHWIPE HUNTING.



One of 707's crew tracks down SCHWIPE's secret headquarters... then proceeds to write a seemingly neverending post about it.

It took me a hop, a skip and a stroll to find Schwipe’s new store in Melbourne, Australia. It's as if the creators don’t want people to find their place, and just when I thought that, a big bent-neon Daft Punk-ish sign greeted me saying “Don’t Come”. In bright pink, of course.

I believe it was fate that brought me there. I was just trying on a pair of Schwipe’s impossible tracksuit at another place, and asked for directions to the store. It was just as impossible as the pants; deconstructed and puzzling. As I walked out, brutally confused as to where this place might be, a man with the exact same tracksuit passed by, talking business busily on his mobile while carrying a box. Could he be one of Schwipe’s? I took my chances.

Like a nut-head I followed him round the block, and just when he turned back I waved with hope. He was shocked as hell and tried to avoid me. I was a man of color, and by color I mean red jeans and purple sweater. I said ‘Schwipe?’ he said ‘Follow me.’

The store-slash-gallery-slash-museum-slash-workshop was curiously hid on the top story of an old building, around the corner of the posh Little Collins Street. Just under is a boutique carrying various prestigious labels such as Surface 2 Air (as do we) up to the extent of Martin Margella, with a cool price tag (think AUD1100 for a pair of wool trousers). The low key street-wear vibe of Schwipe makes a perfect icing to this three-tiered cake.


I was serious when I mentioned workshop. After climbing through a fire escape turned trendy foyer, I immediately witnessed the hands-on construction of Schwipe’s hoodies and tees to my left, while the other end opens to a big loft. The store covers half of the layout, complete with what looks to be a ‘basement’ changing room, printed with this season’s pattern. Edgy printed tees are perfectly folded (one screams out ‘Islam is OK’) and even edgier hoodies and tracksuits are hung side to side.

The other half is instantly a gallery, displaying local artists’ work. An island-like installation made out of cardboard boxes in yellow and lures of carved wood done with ducking tape takes up most of the space. Hundreds of folded Met Cards (a little passport to go around Melbourne) are hung on collapsible walls, resembling abstract forms with an intense sense of movement.


A riddle, really, how a place full of creativity would be hid from the world outside. However, curiosity and word of mouth seem to be the only way to find the finer things in life. Just like Schwipe with its wittiness printed on cotton. A place where art takes half the space and Islam is OK.

{via Abraham}

Schwipe is available NOW at 707ANNEX.